Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lonely in the USA

There's a whole bunch of military personnel that are lonely in the USA.  You can be on a ship with thousands of other people, you can be on a military base with thousands of other people, you can be on a college campus with thousands of other people, you can live in a city with thousands (perhaps millions) of other people and still be lonely.  Sometimes I feel lonely and a whole lot of it is my fault because I don't reach out to other people.  I can sit here in my little house feeling sorry for myself when if I'd make an effort I could talk to a friend, go out to coffee with a friend, etc.  

When my husband was in the Marines he found a church right away where he regularly attended.  He met another Marine at the church and they became fast friends.  He got involved at the church, helping out in any way he could.  He was 19 years old.  He'd be going to Vietnam in a year or so.  A whole bunch of young guys had to grow up really fast.  Who ever said life was fair?  Not me, that's for sure.  

Like my mom always said--Don't forget to take a jacket.
Life is better with a jacket.