Thursday, February 14, 2008

I'd Like a LIttle Cheese With My Whine

Why can't other drivers read my mind and know what I intend to do??

A few weeks ago--and yes, it still bugs me--I left my home and drove to the stop sign on SW 15th in our fair city. This is something I've been doing for the 10+years we've been living on SW 16th. I pulled up to the stop sign perhaps a little faster than normal and a lady in a white car driving down SW 15th where it intersects with Joseph (you know who you are!) ((if she reads blogs)) stopped in the middle of the intersection, rolled down her window and said something to me. I have NO idea what she said but I imagine she was telling me off thinking that I wasn't going to stop. I would like to let this nice lady know that in the 10 years I've been stopping at this stop sign I have never run the sign and have no intentions of doing so now.

Then just recently I had to pull out into the middle lane of the main road through town. I waited until the traffic had ceased from my left, looked to the right (you have to look WAY to the right), saw that I had an opportunity to pull into the center lane. Oregon law says that when you pull into the center lane you wait until there is an opportunity to move into the right lane. (My son taught me that when he took his driving test.) I stopped, looked into my rear view mirror and discovered that someone was behind me waiting to make a left turn. Someone in a red SUV went by me and gave me a long honk thinking that I was going to pull into the traffic. Honest! I wasn't going to do that. I don't want to have an accident any more than you do.

2 comments:

Larisa said...

I think these other drivers were feeling guilty and took it out on you. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Margaret, sounds just like Medford, I feel like I am driving a semi again in Chicago area. I am starting to think that we need to make everyone retest every four years so we will remember the rules of the road. Then again who is to say that all on the road even have a license or insurance. I remember when living in Brewster, WA a lot didn't and when they were involved in an accident they just jumped out of the vehicle and amazingly none of them had been the driver nor remembered who had been. Don S White City